Construction Health and Safety Manager
London | Excellent Salary & Benefits
Irwin and Colton have been engaged exclusively by Derwent London to recruit a Construction Health and Safety Manager. Derwent London are the largest London-focused real estate investment trust and among the UK's most innovative property regeneration specialists and investors. They are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index, with a portfolio which includes 77 buildings totalling 5.6 million sq ft, 99% of which is in central London. This role offers a unique opportunity for a Health and Safety professional to join a true leader in the property industry.
The vision for this role is a 'Client-led' leadership role across numerous construction projects that supports the business in achieving and maintaining best practice, as an informed construction client. Reporting to the Head of Health and Safety, the role contributes to the delivery of the strategic goals, to ensure that project teams can meet their legal obligations and deliver the company H&S Standards. The main function of the role is to engage with the internal Development and Property Management teams and provide a proactive and visible presence to guide teams as they fulfil the CDM-client duties and manage construction health and safety risks; through the entire project lifecycle (initial design planning to handover) with contractors involved.
Responsibilities of the Construction Health and Safety Manager will include:
- Working with the Building/Project Managers, Health and Safety Team, and other key stakeholders to ensure a culture of best practice health and safety across the property portfolio, and heavily contributing towards CDM design/reviews
- Managing external consultants and undertaking a regular audit schedule to ensure the consistency of health and safety performance and identifying opportunities for improvements
- Providing expert guidance and ensuring accurate and timely reporting, engaging with all staff involved on projects across the organisation on health and safety issues
- Day-to-day leadership on site-based health and safety across numerous construction projects; ensuring all incidents are flagged and investigated, with follow up actions implemented to drive performance improvements
- Supporting the wider team in the development and delivery of the strategy, identifying opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of the health and safety function internally and externally
The successful Construction Health and Safety Manager will have:
- Hold a NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent) and relevant status within a membership body - IOSH / IIRSM
- Proven 'client-side' experience in a similar multi-site role within real estate / facilities management (or a related industry)
- A current understanding of associated risks, legislation, and best practice within a large complex property portfolio (commercial office, retail, residential)
- Experience in influencing, engaging, and coaching across all levels of the organisation
- Experience working with Contractors and Principle Designers on-site to ensure projects run in accordance with business planning and CDM requirements
This is an excellent opportunity to join an established property company with a long history and strong heritage. For more information on this opportunity or to discuss your next career move, contact Matthew Cathcart on +44(0) 1923 432 636 or apply here.
Irwin and Colton are a specialist Health and Safety recruitment company, based in the South East of England we recruit across the UK. We recruit all roles in the health and safety industry from Health and Safety Manager, Health and Safety Director through to Health and Safety Advisor positions.