Director of Health, Safety and Occupational Health
University of Hertfordshire
Hertford | Circa £83,000 Plus Excellent Benefits
At the University of Hertfordshire, we are seeking to identify a new Director of Health, Safety and Occupational Health to provide expert leadership on all matters concerning Health and Safety, Occupational Health and Staff Wellbeing. The successful postholder will deliver on various strategic corporate projects within the Office of the Vice Chancellor.
With over 30,000 students, the University has a diverse estate ranging from student accommodation, the leisure centre, and the bus operative services.
This exciting opportunity will ensure a safe and compliant environment for all staff, students, and visitors.
Responsibilities for the Director of Health, Safety and Occupational Health will include:
- Creating and delivering risk management and assurance programs to ensure an accurate understanding of the risk profile
- Leading and developing the current Health and Safety function to ensure that effective and efficient procedures are in place to identify, measure and report on health and safety related risks
- Leadership of the function, reporting to internal Boards and Committees to ensure the communication of risk and assurance in addition to engaging external stakeholders
- Elevating the health and safety management culture across the university so that it becomes a key component of the overall University culture
The successful Director of Health, Safety and Occupational Health will have:
- Experience in leading a health and safety function and team for a large and complex organisation. Ideally in the Educational industry sector.
- A degree or equivalent and ideally Chartered membership of a relevant industry body (i.e. CMIOSH)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with experience influencing and engaging with a wide range of senior stakeholders
- A strong understanding of the Health and Safety regulatory framework
This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving university and take the leading role for Health, Safety and Occupational Health. For further information, please contact Emily Flynn on or 01923 433 289 to discuss further and apply.
Irwin & Colton are a specialist Health and Safety recruitment company, based in the South East of England we recruit across the UK. We recruit all roles in the health and safety industry from Health and Safety Manager, Health and Safety Director through to Health and Safety Advisor positions.